NOW is a great time to catch up on your sleep!
I’m constantly researching the latest evidence based health information, and I recently listened to a fantastic podcast with Matthew Walker, author of ‘Why We Sleep’.
His top 5 tips for getting a good night’s sleep are:
- Regularity – Try to go to sleep at the same time each night, even on a weekend.
This will improve your quality and quantity of sleep.
- Darkness – An hour before bedtime dim the lights down by half or 70% in your home and keep away from laptops, phones or any screens before bedtime.
- Temperature – Keep it cool, have your bedroom at around 18 degrees Celsius.
You will have a better sleep if your room is cooler rather than being too warm.
- Walk it out – If you find it hard to go to sleep or go back to sleep, get out of bed go to a different room with the lights dimmed down and read a book, do some stretches and do this until you become sleepy again then go back to bed.
- Alcohol and Caffeine – Be mindful of your alcohol and caffeine intake especially before bed
(A quarter of caffeine stays in your system for 10-12 hours)
My personal sleeping tip will be revealed soon in tip # 6
Hint: It’s actually about how to wake up easily
If you found this tip helpful,
please share it with anyone you think would also benefit from it.