For many years I’ve eaten porridge as my first meal of the day. My current recipe is below.
You can tweak it to suit your own taste.
Remember that a sprinkle of salt will sweeten the porridge.
Soak the oats overnight in a glass dish that has a clip on lid.
Add these ingredients to your glass bowl and soak overnight
- 30g Steel cut oats
- 350ml Water approx
- 10g Hemp powder 10g
- 5g Ground chia seeds 5g
- 10g Ground flax/linseeds 10g
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
Add these ingredients during or after the cooking process
- 100g Blueberries – fresh or frozen*
- 100g Strawberries – fresh or frozen*
- 14g Goji berries
- 10g chopped walnuts
- 5g hulled chopped hemp seeds
- 10g pollen
- 1 to 2 teaspons of balsamic vinegar glaze (yes!)
*If using frosen berries, take out the night before when you prepare the oats
- Add the soaked ingredients to a saucepan and ccok gently for at least 5 minutes
- Stir often if your pan is non-stick!
- Add the blueberries to the saucepan
- Chop the fresh strawberries. If using frozen, mash them with a fork in the glass dish.
- Take the pan off the heat
- Add the strawberries
- Stir it all in
- Add a sprinkle of himalayan salt to sweeten* – taste for sweetness
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, hemp seeds and/or pollen
*I’m currently using 5g of berry flavoured vegan BCAA from bulk powders to sweeten my porridge instead of salt. Healthy options are honey, maple syrup, stevia, monkfruit powder.
Other porridge combinations
Apple & Cinnamon
Cacao & Berry
Cardamom & Tahini